Sedation / Comfort
Book An Appointment
What is Sedation / Comfort Dentistry?
Sedation / Comfort Dentistry is a branch of dentistry that focuses on providing a calming and relaxing experience for patients during dental procedures. This type of dentistry uses various methods to help patients feel more relaxed, including oral sedation, nitrous oxide (laughing gas), and intravenous (IV) sedation.
Benefits of Sedation / Comfort Dentistry
There are many benefits to Sedation / Comfort Dentistry, including:
- Reduced Anxiety and Fear: For many patients, the thought of visiting the dentist can be overwhelming, leading to anxiety and fear. With Sedation / Comfort Dentistry, we can help you relax and feel more at ease during your appointment.
- Pain-Free Experience: Our sedation options can help eliminate or reduce discomfort during your dental procedure.
- Comfortable Treatment: With Sedation / Comfort Dentistry, you can enjoy a more comfortable and stress-free dental experience.
- Reduced Treatment Time: Some dental procedures can take a significant amount of time to complete, but with the help of sedation, the time can be reduced.
- Improved Dental Health: By reducing anxiety and fear, patients are more likely to follow through with recommended dental procedures, leading to improved oral health.
Types of Sedation / Comfort Dentistry at Church Street Dental
Church Street Dental offers a range of Sedation / Comfort Dentistry options to help our patients feel more relaxed and comfortable during their appointments. Some of the methods we use include:
- Oral Sedation: Oral sedation involves taking a pill before your appointment to help you feel calm and relaxed.
- Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas): This method involves inhaling nitrous oxide through a mask, which helps reduce anxiety and discomfort.
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation: IV sedation involves administering sedation directly into your bloodstream to provide a deeper level of relaxation.
How to Choose the Right Sedation / Comfort Dentistry Method
The best way to determine which Sedation / Comfort Dentistry method suits you is to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists. During your consultation, we will assess your needs and recommend the best option to help you feel calm and relaxed during your appointment.
What is oral sedation?
Oral sedation involves taking a medication, usually a pill, before your appointment to help you feel relaxed and calm during your dental procedure. The drug typically starts to work within 30 minutes to an hour, and its effects can last several hours. Depending on the type and dose of medication used, you may feel drowsy but still able to respond to questions and follow commands.
Why choose oral sedation?
There are many reasons why patients choose oral sedation for their dental procedures:
- Fear or anxiety about dental procedures: If you fear the dentist, oral sedation can help you feel more relaxed and at ease during your appointment.
- Sensitive gag reflex: If you have a sensitive gag reflex, oral sedation can help reduce discomfort during procedures requiring you to open your mouth for an extended period.
- Difficulty getting numb: If you have trouble getting cool with a local anesthetic, oral sedation can help make you more comfortable during procedures that require injections.
- Long or complex procedures: If you have a long or complicated process planned, oral sedation can help you feel more relaxed and at ease throughout the appointment.
What are the benefits of oral sedation?
There are several benefits of oral sedation, including:
- Comfort: Oral sedation helps you feel more relaxed and comfortable during your dental procedure.
- Reduced anxiety: If you fear the dentist, oral sedation can help reduce your anxiety and make your appointment a more positive experience.
- Improved experience: With oral sedation, you may only remember a little of your dental procedure, which can improve your overall experience.
- More courses in one appointment: If you have multiple methods planned, oral sedation can help you complete them all in one position rather than spreading them out over multiple visits.
How does oral sedation work?
Oral sedation involves taking a medication, usually a pill, before your appointment. The medicine helps you feel relaxed and calm and may make you drowsy. You will still be able to respond to questions and follow commands, but you may not remember much of your dental procedure.
What should I expect during oral sedation?
Before your appointment, your dentist will give instructions on taking your oral sedation medication. It would be best if you did not eat or drink anything for several hours before your dentist’s appointment.
When you arrive at the office, your dentist will monitor your vital signs and ensure you are comfortable and relaxed. During your procedure, your dentist will monitor your vital signs and adjust the medication as needed to keep you comfortable.